18.11.08

New Joe Budden Interview: Speaks On Halfway House & More

BallerStatus.com: Now as for Halfway House, what's the response you've been getting from that mixtape so far?

Joe Budden: For the most part, people been telling me that they really enjoyed it, and that's the most important thing for me. The majority of the music I did on there, I did in a matter of a week and a half. With those time restraints that I have, the Joe Budden brand is what I'm most concerned about. I never want to put out a product that is not comparable to my body of work, or the type of music I want people to perceive from me. The fact that it got rave reviews, and people enjoyed it for the most part. Like everything else, it got some hate, but uh, I think it did great.

BallerStatus.com: When I was listening to the mixtape, in my eyes, I felt like there was a different type of Joe. It felt like the tracks came off as rider type music. Was that intentional?

Joe Budden: (laughs) No, not at all. Often at times, music just reflects where I am, and it kind of all just comes together. I didn't purposely plan on it becoming that way, but I definitely thought it was a progression, and a growth. Often at times, you know, Joe Budden music is more of listening music than riding music. But I thought it turned out great.

BallerStatus.com: Another thing I noticed, in contrast to the Mood Muzik mixtapes, you were real loose when you're making it. Was it an enjoyable experience making Halfway House?

Joe Budden: Hell yeah, we had a blast. We had a ball making that sh**. You know, Dub B said that it probably came out better because of the time restrictions that we had. We were doing songs without thinking. A lot of times, I'd say "Dub, let me put a hook on that," and he'd be like "Man f*** a hook. It sounds good the way it is." We'd just keep going. We didn't over think anything, and like I said sh** was great.

BallerStatus.com: "The Soul" record on Halfway House relates so much to people. You were just going back in time, talking about your childhood memories. In any sense, do you wish you could revert back in time, and relive your childhood experiences?

Joe Budden: Yeah I think so, depending on what I'm doing. Memories are a big part of life. So depending on what I'm doing, and where I am, anything can bring me back to a certain place.

BallerStatus.com: Do you miss pressing you clothes for school when you were matching, but then got mad at the girl in class when she was absent? (laughs)

Joe Budden: (laughs) Those were good days. Well I can't live that because I'm in a relationship.

BallerStatus.com: Switching gears, let's talk about the group Slaughterhouse -- consisting of you, Joell Ortiz, Crooked I, and Royce Da 5'9. I was watching the YouTube video the other day, and on that "Onslaught" record, you were arguing with Joell as to who had the best verse. Out of you, Joell, Royce, and Crooked, who do you feel had the best verse?

Joe Budden: I think everybody killed it. What happens is a lot of times people see the YouTube videos, and people are like "Joe is talking all this sh** blah blah blah," but none of us is serious. None of us is serious when we're talking sh**. We're more so having a good time, and just trying to bring that competitive nature to the camaraderie that we already have. Personally I like Royce's verse the best. If I had to pick one, I liked Royce's verse out of everybody else. When you have four emcees of that caliber on the same track, that's going to happen where people are saying "I like this guy or I like this one, I like that one." Everybody is going to have a different opinion. That's the beauty of it. All four of us are really dope in our own right. We're not the same type of dope.

BallerStatus.com: What about the "Slaughterhouse" record on Halfway House? Who you think had the best verse on that?

Joe Budden: I'm going to either go with ... I don't know, it's a toss up for me. Different days, I'll say Crooked I, and another day I'll say Nino Bless.


Be Sure To Read The Whole Interview Here

0 Comments: