20.2.09

ItsHipHop Exclusive Interview With Blastah Beatz

I recently caught up with an upcoming producer most notably known for handling a good chunk of Joe Budden's sophomore album "Padded Room" and we managed to squeeze in a quick interview. So check it out!

ItsHipHop: For everyone out there, who are you and where are you from?

Blastah Beatz: I go by the name of Blastah Beatz and I'm a beatmaker from Portugal, Europe.

ItsHipHop: How did you get into making beats? And at what age?

Blastah Beatz: When I was 14 my cousin suggested I should try and learn to do something since I was so much into Hip Hop. He introduced me to a sound engineer who taught me how to use some programs. I took his advice and teachings and started to make beats. I've only been taking it seriously since 2006 though.

ItsHipHop: What kind of equipment do you use?

Blastah Beatz: I only use software to produce: FruityLoops3, Cool Edit 2.0 and Reason 3.0.

ItsHipHop: How would you describe your "sound"?

Blastah Beatz: That's hard to describe, but I like to keep it real with the drums and bass and I rarely, if ever, use synths. The sample stays lo-fi and overcompressed for the most part. I'm heavily influenced by that 90's East Coast boom-bap and that's one of the reasons why some modern listeners don't like my style, but MC's love it. I always try to experiment with 80's music, soundtracks, classical music and other styles to vary my sound but soulful beats is my main thing.

ItsHipHop: Who are your influences as a producer?

Blastah Beatz: A lot of different styles of music influence me, but as far as Hip Hop, The RZA and DJ Premier influence me the most. Also Pete Rock, Alchemist, 9th Wonder and Madlib to name others.

ItsHipHop: Where do you draw your inspiration from when you make a beat?

Blastah Beatz: It's all in the sample. The mood I'm in at the moment will determine which type of music I'm sampling but the sample automatically tells me what to do.

ItsHipHop: What other artists have you worked with?

Blastah Beatz: In the last 2 years I produced tracks for and featuring artists such as Busta Rhymes, Papoose, Del the Funky Homosapien, Cappadonna, J-Hood, Murs, Tragedy Khadafi, Big Lou and Ruste Juxx, just to name a few.

ItsHipHop: Now as we get closer to the release of Padded Room in which you produced the majority of How did you meet Joe?

Blastah Beatz: I remember Joe was taking beat submissions when he started the album, it was late 2007. I sent some beats in, they liked what they heard and we took it from there: shouts to my dude Killa BH.

ItsHipHop: Was the relationship over the net or did you actually meet Joe in the studio?

Blastah Beatz: Considering that I live in Portugal I never met any of the artists I worked with in the studio. That takes away quality from my tracks but I don't mind really, I'm glad to be where I'm at right now.

ItsHipHop: What can we expect from you in the future.

Blastah Beatz: I'm currently working on my producer album, mixtape and instrumental project. Also working with lots of different artists on their own albums: got to keep it moving!!

ItsHipHop: Thanks again for your time and is there anything you want to say to the fans out there?

Blastah Beatz: No problem, my pleasure. Say peace to them all and to stick with me 'cause I'm evolving every day.

There it is folks, this post will be up until the release of the new Joe Budden Album Feb. 24. Go out and buy it! Shout out to the guys at JBTV.


0 Comments: