19.10.08

Joe Budden Speaks On Beef, Game, Album & Much More

DX: But there are plans to try to get into the studio together [ Game]?

Joe Budden: I mean, we wanted to try and do some mixtape shit together for Nu Jerzey Devil. But like I said, his album had come out around the time, [and] I was in the process of trying to complete two albums, so it hasn't had a chance to happen yet. But I'm sure it will one day.

DX: Well there's like a rumor circulating that he's gonna be on the new first single from Padded Room, any truth to that?

Joe Budden: That rumor has nothing to do with me. I don't know how it got out, don't know how it got put out, don't know who put it out. But like, Padded Room is in a vault somewhere, that album. Like, it's not leaking. [Laughs] Niggas ain't heard it. I think that somebody more so just...with the way that everything took place - me going to perform with him, me going out to Cali just to hang out with the nigga for a minute [and] get up...You know, me and him had a pretty...our beef was more than rap. Some people don't know, like [with] me and him it was more so [like], "Damn, when I see this nigga what am I gonna have to do to him?" So before you get into making records together you need to iron some things out. And that's what we did.

DX: Now you said in a statement that “Touch & Go” will no longer be Padded Room’s first single, and that “a better/bigger song” will be. Can you give us any hints as to what that song will be?

Joe Budden: Well that was the hint. [Laughs] I took [“Touch & Go”] off Padded Room [and put it on Halfway House] because I ended up making a record that in my opinion was bigger and better than “Touch & Go.”

DX: Let’s talk more about the release that song is now on, Halfway House. I really wish I could hear some of it to ask you questions specifically about it, but since I can’t can you give our readers just an overall summary of what they should expect from this new album before the album?

Joe Budden: I have no idea. I recorded the bulk of it in the span of like a week. And you know what? Dub-B [White Boy], who recorded the entire thing with me, he felt like it was better that way. He [calls] this my first “Hip Hop album” for some reason. I don’t know why, but he does. He said it was better that way because we were able to record and not even have time to think about what the fuck we were recording. And it came out sounding…it sounds good! It really does sound good. I impressed myself. And I probably overworked my brain. But I think the fans deserve [that], man.

DX: Can you elaborate on the sound and the content at all? Is it anything like Mood Muzik 3?

Joe Budden: No, no, no, no, this is more so…for me, I like to categorize it as ridin’ music, which Joe Budden doesn’t have too much of. Most of my music, you would never know who’s a Joe Budden fan because Joe Budden music is not meant for you to get in the car and turn it up all the way with the windows down. Like, my music is more so to actually listen to. This album I can turn it up. I been jammin’! So I’m pleased.

DX: Can you tell me how many Just Blaze produced tracks there are on Halfway House?

Joe Budden: None.

DX: I guess my only personal critique is I’d like to hear you on a more diverse bed of sounds. Like possibly – I know cost-wise it’s hard – more sample-driven stuff. I know The Klasix gave you a couple joints on MM3 that were sample-driven. I’d just like to hear you on a different grouping of sounds.

Joe Budden: Well so would I. I think it’s challenging for myself. But like, it was one point I reached out to 9th Wonder. He didn’t return any phone call. But he’s a nigga that’ll fuckin’ smile and dap you up in your face. So I mean a lot of these niggas is real phony, man. I’d rather stick with my fuckin’… Scram Jones, Ron Browz, that’s probably about as A-list as Joe Budden is gonna get. Or I’m gonna try to find the A-list niggas before they become A-list.

DX: And, I don’t know where I read or heard this but you’re supposedly already working on Mood Muzik 4, right?

Joe Budden: Let me clarify that. When Padded Room was complete – before there was the idea of a Big Mike mixtape, before there was a Halfway House idea – I started recording joints for MM4. In the process of [recording for that] “Who” part 1-3 came out. “No More Innocent Hearts” featuring Heartbreak came out. Like, some music came out [because] I just hit the lab immediately. But then I stopped. I left it alone. I normally do that with Mood Muzik. I’ll start when I’m in the mood, then I’ll just leave it alone. So [Mood Muzik 4] is nowhere near being complete. I don’t wanna have the fans thinking something that isn’t.

Read all of this great interview here

0 Comments: